Saturday, September 7, 2013

Mofo 2013 - Day 7 - F is for Freaking Awesome

F is for fun, which is what I am having coming up with ideas for this MoFo! This time I thought of perhaps doing some fritters, falafel, fricassee, frosted cupcakes, french onion soup, fresh fennel. All of which made me want to eat them. But what ended up happening is that I had some leftover rice in the fridge. I am famous for forgetting this kind of stuff in the fridge until it is stinky and garbage bound. I was super excited to save this batch of rice from the same fate.

The thing I love about cooking meals myself is that you can make things just how you like them. I love fried rice, but I often find that there is a lot of rice and not very many veggies. My version ups the veggie ratio and uses brown rice for added health benefits.


Fried Rice with Shiitakes and Broccoli

Makes 2 large portions

4 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, separated
2 large fresh shiitake mushrooms (about 1 cup when sliced)
pinch salt
1 1/2 cup small broccoli florets (about 1/2 inch size)
2 cups leftover long grain brown rice (I used basmati)
1 tablespoon low sodium tamari or soy sauce
1 teaspoon red or brown miso
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions, green part only

In a wok or deep sauté pan, 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil over medium low heat. Add shiitake mushrooms and sauté until they release their liquid and slightly softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add broccoli florets and sauté until they are bright green, about 3 minutes. Add a splash of water if the pan is too dry. Remove from pan and set aside in a bowl. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to hot pan and add rice. Saute until starts to get golden brown and slightly crunchy (just slightly). Stir in mushroom mixture, soy sauce and miso until well combined. Remove from heat and toss in green onions.

Serve immediately.

This is actually pretty darn good reheated as well!

*Can be GF if GF tamari is used.

3 comments:

  1. That looks delicious -- I think I need to add shiitake mushrooms to my grocery list this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I puffy heart shiitakes! Thanks ladies.

    ReplyDelete