Tuesday, September 24, 2013

MoFo Day 24 - W is for Wingz and Wasabi Mayo

W is for Watching Football, Wingz and Wasabi

I'm writing this post during Monday Night Football. The reason I mention that fact is that Wingz to me are the quintessential football snack. They were the thing that was hardest for me to give up when I stopped eating meat. I'm so happy I didn't really have to give up anything, but have gained a new friend in these tempeh wingz. Fred is not a fan of tempeh, so I got to eat more. He did love the sauce, so I will be making a seitan version for him in the future. But I wanted to make something gluten free for those of you who must abstain. I had to keep one toe in Asia for this one!



Wingz with Wasabi Dipping Sauce

Makes 2 football sized servings (8 pieces)

1/2 cup soy milk
1 tablespoon tapioca starch

3/4 cup oat flour or your favorite GF flour
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 - 8 oz package tempeh torn into 8 similar sized pieces

Grapeseed or other mild oil for frying.

4 tablespoon Earth Balance butter
2 tablespoons Louisiana Hot sauce
1 tablespoon Chile Garlic Sauce

In case you were wondering about what the chile garlic sauce and Wasabi looked like:


1 recipe Wasabi Dipping Sauce (recipe below)

Wasabi Dipping Sauce

Makes about 2/3 cup

1/2 cup vegan mayo
2 tablespoons unsweetened soy milk
2 teaspoon wasabi paste
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon five spice powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Steam tempeh for 10-15 minutes until softened a bit. Let cool enough to handle.

While tempeh is steaming, whisk soy milk and tapioca starch together in wide shallow bowl. In another wide shallow bowl combine oat flour (can sub your favorite GF flour), granulated onion, granulated garlic, smoked paprika and salt.

In a 12 inch iron skillet or heavy bottomed skillet (not non-stick) heat enough oil to come up the side of the pan about 1/2-3/4 inch to 350. Soak each piece of tempeh in the soymilk mixture. Dredge in flour mixture until covered on all sides. Gently place coated tempeh in oil. Fry for about 4 minutes each side until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel to remove excess oil. In a large bowl, combine melted Earth Balance, Louisiana Hot Sauce and chili garlic sauce. Add fried tempeh wingz to sauce and gently stir to coat. I lots of sauce, so it will be messy! Serve immediately with celery sticks, carrot sticks and Wasabi Dipping Sauce.


Go Bears!

1 comment:

  1. Hello fellow Vegan Mofo'er :-)

    looks yummy! That's why I'd like to link to your recipe on the Vegan Mofo round up post on my blog this Friday.
    Nice to meet you btw.
    Sandra

    P.S. Connect with me on Facebook (CandidaDietPlan), @candidadiettips on Twitter and Sandra Boehner on Pinterest so you see when the post goes live ;-)

    ReplyDelete