Sunday, October 12, 2008

Vegan MOFO Day 12 - Nonna's Kitchen Goodness

Another obsession of mine is collecting cookbooks. I love them. They make me so happy. I have had Nonna's Italian Kitchen sitting on my bookshelf for so long. I think I may have made one recipe from this book before this week. Boy have I been missing out. This weekend I finally had time to hang out in my own kitchen, so I dug into Nonna's with great abandon.

Saturday night I hunkered down and got to work. We had a late night dinner of Peperonata which is a delightfully flavorful combination of peppers, onions, and tomatoes. It had a depth of flavor I wasn't expecting. I served it with Gnocchi topped with Genovese Pesto. It was a really great combo.

Tonight we had two versions of Impanata (Italian Bread Pie); broccoli sausage and spinach with pinenuts and black olives w/marinara. We served it with Bean Salad over delicious farmers' market heirloom tomatoes.

This book should not be left to collect dust on a shelf. It is full of wonderful recipes with simple ingredients that you probably have on hand. Not only was everything tasty, it was also full of nutrients.

2 comments:

  1. It is a great cookbook! We made the caponata recently which was fantastic. All of your food, as always, looks simply perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 100s of cookbooks - it's kind of sickness actually. I don't have that particular cookbook, as I'm not much of a pasta person, but what you made looks and sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete