Saturday, December 12, 2009

Blog Cooking Challenges - Weeks 1-4

Allychristine from the PPK posted a challenge to keep all of us foodies inspired to try new dishes. Each week we make recipes from a particular blog. As a food blogger myself, I love the idea of supporting a fellow blogger and promoting their sites. Food blogging takes a lot of time and inspiration. There are some great blogs out there and I've posted some links here. I hope this post encourages you to check some more of them out!

Week One - The PPK Blog - I have to admit, I didn't make anything this week, but there was a reason. I have been testing for Isa for 3+ years. I'm still testing now, so I figured I'd give myself a week off from this challenge. I can tell you that I have made the Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles more times than I care to admit. Try 'em they are easy, delicious and impressive.

Week Two - Vegan Dad - Vegan Dad has been posting kid friendly and more fancy pants fare for the more mature palate. He also has a cookbook of his most popular recipes that you can buy online. I had been eye-balling his Tofu Makhani recipe for some time. I'm embarrassed to say I had never made any Indian dishes before...although I had Indian spices in my massive spice collection. I really liked this recipe. But I have to admit, I had to add some hot chile to up the heat factor for us. It's an excellent dish and pretty easy to make!

Week Three - Fat Free Vegan - After the holidays I was craving something lighter and chock full of vegetables. This recipe for Stir Fried Tofu and Vegetables with Miso Sauce filled the bill! It was so fresh, colorful and tasty. I went back for seconds. One nice thing about stir fry dishes is the fact that you really can sub whatever vegetables you have on hand, which I did here.

Week Four - Bittersweet - This is the blog of Hannah Kaminsky, author of My Sweet Vegan. She was just 18 when she published her book of sweet treats! I decided to try a couple of her savory recipes rather then the sweet ones. I was very intrigued by her Healing Squash Soup. I am always trying to find ways to incorporate ginger with all of its healing properties into our diet. This soup is chock full of ginger. So much so, that it gives it a firey quality on the tounge. Not for the folks with a bland palate.

The second recipe I tried was her Forbidden Seed Bread. I did sub sunflower seeds for the pepita, because Fred snacked on the last of the pepitas I had. Not his fault. I usually tell him what I need for recipes and he is great about making sure not to eat the ingredients I need. This bread was a fun departure from your traditional loaves. It uses cooked forbidden black rice. It leant a really nice texture and moisture content to the bread. I will make this one again!!!

The challenge goes for 11 weeks, so I will be posting more from my friends in blogland in the upcoming weeks! If you get a chance, please check out their blogs. They put their heart, soul, and lots of time into them!

No comments:

Post a Comment