Saturday, July 21, 2018

Instant Pot Smoking Hot Salsa

I got a new toy during Amazon Prime Day the giant Instant Pot! The Arizona summer heat has got me dreading any heat in the kitchen at all. I'm hoping this will motivate me to get back to the kitchen as I love playing with new toys.


To get the party started I was feeling a little spicy and saucy. For years I've cheated and used canned tomatoes to make my salsa. I don't like being a cheater, so I'm excited to be using fresh tomatoes and making my own salsa truly from scratch. This is also a great way to control sodium if you are watching it.

Let's get down to the business of throwing down the recipe.



Instant Pot Smoking Hot Salsa

Makes about 1 quart

6 large tomatoes, cored and diced small (seeds intact)
1 medium sweet yellow onion
2 fresh Serrano chiles, seeds removed, finely diced
2 cloves garlic minced
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chipotle powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 - 1/2 cup cilantro (measured before chopping) chopped

Add all ingredients except for cilantro to Instant Pot inner pot, stir to combine. Set for 30 minutes on manual/steam setting. Let cool to room temperature. Depending on the liquid content of your tomatoes you may want to drain off some of the excess liquid. Stir in chopped cilantro. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight. The flavor gets better with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment