Thursday, November 23, 2017

Emergency Golden Gravy - Happy Thanksgiving

This year I am starting some new traditions. I am spending Thanksgiving with some of my friends with whom I have not previously had the pleasure of sharing this day of gratitude. I'm very grateful to be included in the celebration. I suspect we will be tipping back a few. This can often lead to monumental kitchen fails, so I prepped early.

I have been charged with the delicious task of making the mashed potatoes and gravy. I'm going to be making a Yukon gold mash with roasted garlic. I decided I would make dueling gravies. I started off with one of my personal favorites: Cajun JalapeƱo Gravy.  I broke a very important rule and didn't taste the jalapeƱos before adding them. Holy crap!!! They were so freaking hot my hands are still burning a couple of hours later. While I love hot stuff, I modified the recipe to make it a little less "burn your face off hot". The upside is the batch ended up being larger than the original recipe.

Fearing it still may be too hot for some of the milder mannered guests, I set out to make one of my favorite "normal" gravy recipes: Golden Gravy from Yellow Rose Recipes. I'm in a bit of a panic because I cannot find my copy and it is out of print. YIKES! I'm going to be tearing up the house this long weekend to try and find it. In the mean time, I had to come up with an on the fly substitution. Hence the title of this post. I am happy to report this new version turned out great. I think this may be my new favorite non-spicy gravy recipe! I'm excited to share it with you and grateful you are reading my blog as I haven't posted since last year! Enjoy and have a beautiful Thanksgiving. 

Emergency Golden Gravy



Makes Approximately 3 Cups

1 teaspoon rubbed sage
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon granulated garlic (or garlic powder)
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)

5 tablespoons Earth Balance vegan butter
5 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 medium yellow onion, diced small (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth

Combine dry spices in small bowl and set aside. 

In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Once melted, whisk in flour making sure to scrape sides of pan to incorporate all flour. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent burning, until light brown. Stir in onions. Cook for about 5 minutes until softened, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Stir in spices and cook until fragrant, approximately 1 minute. Stir in nutritional yeast until combined. Cook for 1 minute. Whisk in vegetable broth. Simmer until thickened, about 5-10 minutes.  Once thickened, transfer to blender and blend until smooth. Gravy can be served immediately or refrigerated for up to 3 days.

NOTE: If you like a thinner gravy, reduce flour and EB by one tablespoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment