Sunday, May 8, 2016

Marsala Mushroom and Quinoa Soup

I have been eating out so often over the past year. I'm actually quite tired of paying the prices, adding the calories and feeling sluggish. I'm recommitting to my love of cooking and hopefully blogging more often.

While I've been on this eating out tear, I have still been shopping in hopes that I would get by butt back in the kitchen. Fresh foods were rotting in my veggie bins and it was really bugging me that I was being so wasteful.

This particular week I had some beautiful cremini mushrooms teetering on the brink of going bad and I had some leftover cooked quinoa. It's almost the end of cool weather here, so I thought soup should be on the menu. I've always been a fan of Marsala sauces and I happened to have some in my pantry. I looked around to see what else I had in the kitchen so I didn't have to run to the store. I think you'll like the results.


Masala Mushroom and Quinoa Soup

Makes 4 servings

2 tablespoons avocado oil (or other neutral flavored oil), separated
1 medium onion, diced
1 large carrot, small dice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
8 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons marsala wine
3 cups vegetable broth
2 teaspoons Braggs Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce)
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish.

In a large saucepan over medium-low heat add 1 tablespoon oil, carrots, onions and brown sugar. Saute, stirring occasionally, for 10-12 minutes until onions are caramelized and soft. Add remaining tablespoon of oil and mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms release their liquid. Add thyme, black pepper and salt. Increase heat to medium. Saute until liquid is just about gone, approximate 7 minutes. Deglaze with marsala wine. Saute until liquid is about gone again, about 5 minutes.

Add vegetable broth, Braggs and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes. Add cooked quinoa and heat through. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with parsley before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment