Friday, September 6, 2013

MoFo 2013 - Day 6 - E is for Eggplant on My Face

While Egg on My Face not be the most vegan of phrases, it's meaning does capture how I was feeling about the failed Eggplant Parmesan I attempted recently.

The phrase Egg on My Face is a slang term for being extremely embarrassed about something you have done. This was pretty appropriate for how I was feeling when I gently slid my eggplant into the oil and all of the breading promptly fell off into the oil and I was left with a greasy blob of eggplant.

In an attempt to save face with my hungry friends, I baked off the remaining breaded eggplant in the oven. It looked beautiful when I pulled it out of the oven. I plated it up and as we all took our first bite, I was horrified to realize I hadn't baked it long enough. Undercooked slab of eggplant is not a pleasant experience.

From this experience I have gained some good insight though, so all was not lost. I must remember that often thinner is better with eggplant. Don't take shortcuts. Give yourself enough time to respect the veggie who is sacrificing it's flesh for your meal. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, it helps you grow and learn.

While I don't have a great recipe to share with you today, I do have a photo of my beautiful disaster hee hee. It really did LOOK good.



3 comments:

  1. Ow it's too bad when things like that happen... I specially dislike it because not only have you put the time and effort into making this dish, you also used some delicious fresh produce.
    It does look delicious though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eggplant is one of those hit or miss ingredients for me too! My friend swears by steaming sliced or diced eggplant before baking, frying, or grilling it. That way it's already cooked through the middle and doesn't require a whole bunch of oil or extremely long cooking time.

    Too bad your eggplant parmesan didn't taste better. It sure looks good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to try the steaming method if I keep them this thick. That just might do the trick.

    ReplyDelete