Sunday, September 22, 2013

MoFo 2013 - Day 22 - T is for Tortillas Chips and Tostadas

OK, so I had fully intended on making home made tempeh tostadas today. THEN we ended up celebrating too much and too late last night and cooking appealed to me...well not at all. I had the post drinky blahs. I have to apologize upfront for the low picture quality. My phone is not the best for pictures.

Instead of cooking, we went to a local Mexican place called Arriba's. Arriba's specializes in New Mexico chiles in their dishes. We've been going there for quite a while. The food is always pretty good, the service is usually excellent. Today was no exception. Our server was fantastic. She actually knew what was vegan and what was not on the menu.

We learned that two of their enchilada sauces were NOT vegan because they contain chicken or beef stock. Sadly, we had been told they were in the past. The good news is that their New Mexico style sauce is vegan. Their rice also contains chicken stock. I wish more Mexican places would use veggie stock for their recipes. It would be an easy sub and would make so many dishes vegan friendly.

Arriba's brings out their light, warm and crispy chips with a mild salsa. They have a very yummy hot sauce that you can get upon request. We always get the hot!


Thankfully our knowledgable server was able to guide us to vegan friendly dishes. The bean dip that they bring out to the table has both chicken stock and cheese in it. But happily, the refried and black beans do not contain any animal products. Armed with this info, I ordered a tostada with refried beans and guacamole. A good dinner was had by all and I didn't have to do any dishes!


I plan on heading back to the kitchen tomorrow. I am also going to be doing a giveaway tomorrow, so make sure to check back. I will be announcing the winner of Raw & Simple and announcing the next giveaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment