Friday, October 5, 2012

Gone Pie Vegan Bakery - Gluten Free Decadence

When I got my box full of sweet treats from Gone Pie Vegan Bakery, it was like a sugary dream. Gone Pie Bakery is a 25 year old venture out of New York. Their goal is to make incredibly tasty treats for vegans and those who suffer from celiacs, because everyone should be able to eat delicious foods. They ship all over the country. Opening the package was like Christmas in October: beautifully packaged brownies, tempting Sesame Peanut Butter Cookies and a crazy gigantic Peanut Butter Caramel Cup. I didn't know where to start!


Not two minutes after I opened the box I ripped open the Peanut Butter Caramel Cup. I thought maybe I would quickly scarf the whole thing down before anyone came in and wanted to share. I took my first bite and realized that this was not a one sitting indulgence. The chocolate was so rich. Then I bit into the caramel filling. It was creamy and super sweet and oh so decadent. The ingredient list says there is peanut butter in there, but I couldn't really taste it. When I bit in to the cup the filling kind of mushed out and seemed like it needed to be a tad thicker. But after it was refrigerated, it was much better. I knew that I would be up all night if I ate the whole thing, so I left some for later (and even let Fred have a couple of bites). My recommendation? This bad boy is for the hard core sweet eater. If you can eat one all by yourself in one sitting, you have a serious sugar addiction. Hee hee. Share it with a friend who loves chocolate and you will certainly have a friend for life.

I was a little more generous with the gluten free brownies and cookies. My reluctant generosity was just for research purposes and a desire to stay in the same pants size this week. I was curious to see if gluten free, vegan treats would pass the manly men test with the guys at work. I brought them into work and cut them into pieces so that everyone in the office could try them. I told them they could only try them if they gave me some feedback...yes I shamelessly bribed them with morning sweetness in exchange for their taste buds and honest opinions.


The Coconut Brownies and the Chai Nut Brownies were both moist, dense and very chocolatey. My personal favorite (and my bosses) were the Chai Nut Brownies. The Sesame Peanut Butter Cookies were such an interesting and fun combination. The sesame seeds gave them a slight bitterness and a bit of a crunch. No one could believe they were vegan and gluten free. The wife of one of my co-workers recently had to give up gluten. He has a major sweet tooth, so he is super excited he will be able to get sweets they can both enjoy. What a treat for you gluten-free warriors out there. There were no leftovers and everyone was very happy.

Why would you want to buy and eat these?

The checklist of awesome:

Gluten Free - check
Vegan - check
Chocolate - check
Sweet - check
Home Delivery - check

Here is the best part. You can order these lovelies from Vegan Cuts and get a 10% discount* Vegan Cuts offers great new vegan body care, fashion and food products! Check out their website and get your Gone Pie goodies there too!

It's time to announce the winner of Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day. I loved reading through your childhood memories. Grilled Cheese and PBJ seemed to be the most common. I do have to say I never thought of mac and cheese on a sandwich and loved the idea of the rice crispy treats for extra texture. Fun memories. Thanks for sharing!

The winner is....

#27 Anonymous poster # 27. 
Congratulations. Rice balls are awesome, but Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day. Please be sure to contact me with a shipping address so you can get sandwiching!


Tomorrow come back by for a review and giveaway of the fun and cheeky The Sexy Vegan Cookbook: Extraordinary Food by an Ordinary Dude by Brian L. Patton. 

*Use the discount code: "BLOGFRIEND" and save an additional 10% off your order, doesn't apply to shipping, expires Oct 31/12"


2 comments:

  1. I am a co-worker of Kimmy's and work the late morning shift. By the time I got to the office, there wasn't much left of the sweets. The Chai Nut Brownies were gone. I am sure they would have been my favorites too if I could have tasted them! I really liked the Sesame Peanut Butter cookies (an interesting combo) - went great with my morning cup of java! Kimmy failed to mention that Peanut Butter Carmel Cup to me. Can't believe you kept that from me - salivating at a blog photo just doesn't seem right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! That's what happens when you work banker's hours. Don't worry. Next time I have one, I will share with you :)

    ReplyDelete